LSSSDC is a not for profit, Non-statutory certification Body under mandate of Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship and is registered under the Societies Act, 1860. It has been setup by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), promoted by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), in partnership with various stakeholder organizations representing both Industry and Govt. Stakeholders.
LSSSDC is recognized and approved, as a Sector Skill Council for Life Sciences Sector inclusive of Pharmaceutical (including AYUSH), Biopharmaceutical, and Contract Research, by National Skill Development Corporation under a mandate from Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
LSSSDC has attained a status of National level Non-statutory Skill Certification Body wide the Govt. notification No. I-34011/07/2015-SDE, and has become at par to CBSE/ NCVT etc.
With the appointment of CEO, LSSSDC as Joint Apprenticeship Advisor vide office order F. No. MSDE-01/(3)/2018-AP(PMU) dated 12 Sep 2018, LSSSDC is also an authorized body for engagement of Industry for Apprenticeship Training under Apprenticeship Act 1961 and National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme.
Under the mandate from MSDE, LSSSDC is serving to address the skill shortfalls in the Life Sciences Sector in India. The aim of LSSSDC, over a 10 year period, is to map all job roles in the Sector (estimated 248), publish National Occupational Standards, launch Vocational Programs under approval of National Skill Qualification Committee, MSDE, Govt. of India, affiliate relevant Vocational Training Organisations, develop Certified Trainers and provide 2.1 million Skilled and Certified workforce in Life Sciences Sector.
LSSSDC, has Mr. Satish Reddy, Chairman of Dr. Reddy’s Lab and nominee from CII, as it’s Chairman. At the helm is a Governing Body with representation from various Stakeholder groups as below:
- Association of Biotechnology Led Entrepreneurs (ABLE)
- Association of Clinical Research Organizations (ACRO)
- Bulk Drug Manufacturer Association (BDMA)
- Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
- Confederation of Indian Pharmaceutical Industry (Small Scale) (CIPI)
- Federation of Pharma Entrepreneurs (FOPE)
- Indian Drug Manufacturer Association (IDMA)
- Indian Pharmaceutical Alliance (IPA)
- Indian Pharmaceutical Association (IPA)
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC)
- Organisation of Pharmaceutical Producers of India (OPPI)
- Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council of India (PHARMEXCIL)
- Pharmacy Council of India (PCI)
The key objective of LSSSDC is to create a robust, dynamic and quality driven ecosystem for industrial demand led vocational education and skill development in Life Sciences Sector in India and make India a Skill Capital of the World for life sciences sector.
The Operations of LSSSDC are divided into 8 major focus Areas as below:
Development of National Occupational Standards, Vocational education programs and Standard Learning Resources
Affiliation of Training/ Skilling Institutions
Development of Trainers and Assessors
Assessment and Certification of trainees
Assessment and Certification of experienced workforce via Recognition of Prior Learning
Placement Support to trainees
Demand Aggregation from Industry